Keeping It Going!

For 2011 I am setting my goals high but completely within my grasp!

I intend to do a race a month finishing out the year by running as a Hero in the 2011 St. Jude FULL Marathon!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Long Run

So yesterday was my long run of the week. And I actually did it. Went to the local park, tied up my shoes, put on my cold weather gear (it was a whopping 32 degrees outside) and hit the trail. Finished my 4 miles in 52 minutes, which while its not great its not too shabby either. I'm trying to stay focused on the fact that every day and every run I'm getting stronger and building up my endurance, not that I still can't complete my "long" runs in the minimum required for the St. Jude Marathon (which is 14 min miles).

Today was supposed to be my "rest" day, but since I did nothing on Thursday, I did an hour of Wii Fit instead. It was good, but an hour of that starts to drag about 1/2 way through. Oh well, 200+ calories gone by doing stupid little games is something I'll take.

I've gotten better about eating out lately. I've come to accept that I will eat out, but I am looking up nutrition information before I go. For instance, I learned that at Pei Wei the Dan Dan Noodles (my favorite) is actually a healthier option than any of their sauced dishes made with Tofu and Vegetables! Who would have thought it?? And today Danny and I went to Red Robin (check out their calorie calculator - its really cool and Danny asked if I was playing a video game while figuring out my lunch) and by looking in advance I learned that by switching out the beef patty for the garden veggie patty on my favorite burger there I saved something like 300 some odd calories! Holy Cow, Batman!

Tomorrow is a run day. I'm going to aim for 3.1 miles (a 5k) on my treadmill and see how I do with that. I'm going to keep upping my long runs by 1/2 mile each week, but I'm going to look at stamina and speed on my two weekday runs, try and focus on getting faster and being able to go the whole distance without walking.

Its a short term goal to focus on that is a lot easier in my head than 26.2 miles in under 6 hours!

1 comment: